What are wasps?
Wasps are small and narrow-winged insects compared to bees. There are many types of wasps, but the most common are paper wasps. Only females can sting because their sting is used for egg-laying glands. They may look small, but their sting is equally troublesome as bees. Now, let’s gain a bit of insight into their life. Some of the wasps live socially, have one queen, and divide their work. Some like to live alone and are hence called solitary wasps. Some of the wasps are communal; they build their nest together but do not have the division of labor. While worker wasps live about a month, queen wasps can live up to almost a year. So, it is important to get rid of the queen for efficient wasp nest removal.
- Small nest – If you see a small nest attached to your window or balcony, don’t ignore this, the nest may seem empty, but it is a clear indication of the presence of wasps.
- You might not see the nest directly but sometimes have seen a swarm of wasps hover around your garden or near trees. If the swarm is near your house or workplace, it would be wise to track their path and ensure your property.
- Does your home have high ceilings – Or could there be easily ignorable/ unreachable places because of their angle? If you ever hear a low buzzing sound try to examine your place because all wasps build their nests in undisturbed places, making it difficult to detect them. You will also need help with wasp nest removal at these places.
The size of the nest depends on the number of wasps living in the nest. The population of wasps can be around thirty or hundred or, in some cases, thousands based on how they like to live. Wasps living in a society with a queen are likely to have a bigger nest with a larger population. Therefore, it is better to have wasp nest removal at the early nest building stage.
Degree of harm it can cause -
- A wasp sting is quite painful because, unlike bees, their venom contains norepinephrine which does not allow blood to pass through the stung area; therefore, the pain lives longer. It takes several minutes to dilute the pain.
- They are social beings, so once stung, their venom releases a pheromone which attracts other Wasps to you. Also, unlike bees, they stung multiple times.
- Some aggressive wasps, like hornets, can pierce through your clothes and sting you. Try to stay away from them as far as you can.
At what time of the year are the most active?
Why are wasps attracted to your yard/ house?
- Safe Haven -Wasps prefer to build their nest in a warm and dry place. Your house or property might provide extra benefits such as food and water. They are also very sneaky, and to protect their nest from you, they choose peculiar places like corners, small gaps between bricks, or something you cannot reach, causing hindrance in wasp nest removal.
2. Plenty of Insects – If you live in a place surrounded by greenery, you will have more chances to attract wasps because of the availability of an ample amount of various types of insects.
3. Fruits– During summers, the smell of the ripening fruits or the spilled fruit juice makes the wasps most aggressive. They love sweet fruits, so beware of wasps if your premises have fruit trees.
4. Flowers and Fragrances – Wasps are undeniably attracted to flowers because they offer them nectar and the fragrance that makes the wasps hover around flowers for no particular reason. You have to be also careful if there are any chances that you are wearing flower extracted perfume, you might unknowingly invite trouble for yourself.
Get Rid Of Water Resources –
Wasps are often sighted near public tap water or around open water systems of city municipalities because they frequently get thirsty in warm, dry summers. You can prevent wasps near your premises by checking around your area.
Garden and Plants
Wasps will inevitably hover in your garden or plants, but you can prevent their excess intruding by trimming plants and using pesticides. Some plants help you keep wasps away-
In the Summer season, it is advisable to take a few mint leaves in your car if there is any news on the swarm of wasps in your area.
Cleanliness is the key.
Speculate the rooms and spaces in your house or workplace where you rarely go to be assured that they do not need any wasp nest removal
What not to do with wasp nests?
Set it on fire
You should never make a hurried decision to set it on fire for the wasp nest removal. Fire will cause panic among them, and they will aggressively sting people.
Neither you should pour water on the nest because ruining their nest will force them to come out of the sting.
Beating the nest with any Tool
Beating the nest threatens you to be near the nest, So the moment they come out, they will sting you, and there are chances of multiple wasps attacking you.
Remedy for wasp sting
Despite being cautious if you got stung, apply this remedy-
- Gently wash the injured area to get rid of the venom.
- Apply the nearest soft small cold object to that area.
- Cover the wound with a bandage or leave it open and dry
- If it is possible, apply calamine lotion.
- If you are at home, you can gently apply vinegar to neutralize the alkaline in the venom.
Our innovative Hanging Wasp Trap
Our Wasp trap comes with a more responsive and precise trigger mechanism, making it faster and easier to set than traditional wood traps. The two entry tunnels design makes the wasp enter inside the trap. But never let them outside. They eventually die by drowning. Our best wasp traps in the UK are eco-friendly, safe, and clean. No chemicals or poisons are needed.
Simply put the trap 3 meters above the ground for the most effective use, or hang it in the tree. Then pour fruit juice, sugar, water, or soft drink into the trap to attract wasps, hornets, and yellow jackets. That’s it; the wasp traps will do their work.