Why do cockroaches come out at night?
Cockroaches are highly active during the night because they are grouped under nocturnal insects. It means that they feel more energised in the absence of daylight. During the night or in dark places there is very less risk of encountering people, which means they can carry out their activity more efficiently with less disturbance. Also, the presence of advanced night vision and light-sensitive organs makes it easier for roaches to explore and locate food in the dark.
Although cockroaches are noticed to be more active at night, it is not like they cannot survive during the day. They can perform all their activity perfectly in daylight also, but because of their biological clock which can be also known as hardwired survival instincts, they prefer nighttime for scavenging.
Why Are Cockroaches Nocturnal?
All living beings have their biological clock set inside them, which enables them to carry out functions or processes at a specific time. it is also popularly known as the sleep-wake cycle. this cycle decides the active time of the creature. While humans tend to be more active at night because of the energy they receive from the sun, the roaches on other hand resist light because it harms their sensitive bodies. The darkness of the night provides them with much more comfort and is highly beneficial for their scavenging nature.
What Are The Reasons To Prefer Darkness?
- Quietness: Roaches are animals that get easily startled even by the slightest movements. And the nighttime ensures quietness which helps them to accurately locate the danger.
2. Cool environment: The dark and cool environment of the night provides perfect conditions for them to navigate food.
3. Lower Risk Predators: Cockroaches are small insects, and become an easy target for bigger animals. But, in the dark, they have got the advantage in the territory.
4. Light brings danger: Cockroaches are likely to assume that a predator is present if there is an abruptly bright light, which puts the roach at a disadvantage.
How do roaches navigate in the dark
Cockroaches can see in the dark using their antennae. The antennae of cockroaches are covered in tiny hairs and these hairs are sensitive to even the smallest air vibrations. As a result, they can detect movement in their immediate surroundings. The roach perceives this movement as a threat and runs away.
The antennae are also sensitive to scent in the air. They can detect the chemical nature of any kind of substance, and avoid consuming toxic things.
Have You Ever Encounter Roaches In the Night
Where Do Cockroaches Hide in My Home?
There are many common areas where cockroaches can easily hide during days, here are the following places where you can search for them
- Underneath or behind appliances such as stoves and refrigerators
- Below the sinks in your kitchen and bathrooms
- Near water pipes, washer and dryer machines
- Inside switch holes or even inside the cracks of the walls
- In between heaps of trash, paperwork, boxes, supplies, and other things
Signs of a cockroach infestation in your house
Droppings of insects are always a positive sign of a pest infestation. You might encounter these droppings in areas with a high presence of cockroaches
Spotting cockroach eggs
The eggs are dark elongated capsules in shape. These are oothecae that contain multiple eggs inside.
Smelling the pungent odour of cockroaches
Another sign you should look out for in your property is a pungent odour. This pungent odour is a peculiar characteristic of the presence of cockroaches.
Noticing smear marks on the walls
Cockroaches usually leave brown greasy smear marks, especially on the base where your floors and walls meet.
To permanently keep cockroaches out of an area, try to implement preventative measures. You can also use a cockroach killer trap station to quickly get rid of cockroaches. This trap has a responsive and precise trigger mechanism, making it faster and easier to set. To schedule your inspection click here.