Biggest Rat In The World
Rodents are small animals that are identified by their pair of large incisors or front teeth. They are small, hairy, whiskers, and have two pairs of limbs and a tail. The purpose of their huge front teeth is to gnaw at things in search of food, shelter, and to fight predators. They have poor eyesight but have a strong sense of smell.
There are many types of rodents, but here is the list of the 10 most common rodents all around the world-
- Rats are easily spotted rodents in human occupations around the world. They are different from mice because of their peculiar size and color. Rats have grey color fur and very long tails. As mentioned they are attracted to houses, buildings, or any place that provides warmth and food. The rats are infamous for their history of causing the fatal plague, the “Black Death”.
- The mouse is a different type that is sometimes also referred to as mice. They are easy to compare with other rodents and humans are well aware of their presence. The mouse is smaller or sometimes equal to rats in size but they have a higher reproduction rate. They are often kept as a pet and a few decades back they were common animals in a science laboratory.
- Hamsters are one of the cutest rodents you will come across. They are highly popular in the Western Hemisphere of the world. They are distinguished by their small fluffy size and are of different fur colors. They have very short limbs and the whole body is covered in thick fur. They are very sensitive to their environment and hence need extra care.
- Squirrels are a sure sight in the garden or parks. They are present everywhere. They are sometimes known as wild rodents. There are wide varieties of squirrels like tree squirrels. Flying squirrels, chipmunks, and marmots lived in different regions of the world, which suits them the best. They are commonly identified by their bushy tail and their close affinity with a tree. They love nuts and have a habit of storing them.
- The Chinchilla are characterized by their dense coating of fur all over the body. they were excessively hunted. Now, they are found in southwestern America. They prefer to live in burrows and the cracks between the rocks.
- Gerbil rodents are as cute as hamsters and many people kept them as pets. Their nature is non-aggressive, peaceful animals. They are social animals and love to play with humans. They don’t need much care for the living. They excrete minimally hence, are very clean. They have a very long tail which is half of their total size.
- Beavers are commonly found in the wild regions and are characterized by their distinctive appearance. They have flat tails, squatted backs, and protruding noses from their face. They were used for making perfumes and in experimental medicines, but later also used for making garments.
- Gophers are common rodents found in North and Central America. They are usually known for their behavior of excessively digging holes and living in them. Their fur color is brown and the color often matches the ground they are living in. Their large cheek pouches are quite remarkable and can be characterized by their small hairy tails.
- Lemmings are found in cold regions specifically in the Tundra regions. They are small in size and average in weight. The shape of their body is round and has brown to black fur color. They have tiny limbs and small ears. Their diet is mostly herbivores like plants, moss, berries, etc.
- The Deer mouse is a newly discovered species. And it is also because they are confined to the region of America. Their peculiar features are their big eyes with double-tone colors. They are highly active animals and can cover a lot of distance in one jump and are faster than other rodents. They had a history of carrying various diseases.
Want to know about the biggest rat in the world?
- The Sumatra bamboo rat is considered one of the biggest rats in the world. They have a size of 20 inches and a weight of 4 kilogram. They have short tails when compared to their body size. They are mostly found in China and Sumatra, and nearby regions of central Asia. They have a varied colour of fur ranging from brown to grey. Similar to all rats, they have tiny ears and round heads. They like to live in their burrows and seldom live above ground. They are mostly herbivores and prefer to eat roots, bamboo, and sugar cane. They are also referred to as pests because of the damage they cause to the crops.
- The Capybaras are also considered as one of the biggest rats in the world. Their size can be up to 24 inches and they can weigh up to30 kilogram. Their body shape looks similar to the pigs and hence, are well accustomed to swimming. The weirdest thing about them is in the morning they feed on their faeces. Actually, at this time of the day, faeces is rich in proteins and beneficial microbes. For them, it is hard to digest grass. A remote population of this rodent lives in Florida.
Ever Wonder Why are rats a menace to us?
- If rats are known for anything, it is for their ability to chew anything. It is quite harmful because it can cause a lot of damage to your furniture and other home appliances. They can put you in trouble by ruining expensive structures in your home and destroying high-quality clothes. The most dangerous thing is that they can mess with your electrical and electronic devices which can cause hazardous accidents
- Rats are also infamous for carrying and spreading fatal diseases. The diseases they carry do not harm them but can be deadly for humans and other animals living near your house, even your pets are not immune to them. Some of the diseases they carry are salmonellosis and bubonic plague. It is transmitted by rat faeces, and contamination of water or solid objects.
- It is important to separately focus on the harmful effect of rats chewing on electrical cables and electrical wires of your house. Maybe they can damage your professional space too. It can cause an electrical fire and destroy your property. It can be highly costly for you to repair everything and with other security services.
- Rats can be physically dangerous too. If they feel they are being threatened they turn into very menacing creatures and can injure you. While scratching they also transmit the diseases they carried all along. Not to mention the harm they can cause to an infant in your home. With how easily they contaminate your food one should always beware of rats.
- Rats are not the animals who like to keep themselves clean and hence, are always dirty. Consequently, they make your house unhygienic which becomes favorable for cockroaches and other pests to breed there. They also attract all kinds of bugs, some of them can be aggressive and cause skin-related problems.
How Can We Prevent a Rat To Enter Our Home?
- One of the effective ways is to block the entry path of your home and property. A rat can squeeze into small spaces and make their way, So you should be wise to patch all the cracks in your property both from the outside and inside. You can use patching compounds, hardware clothes, wood pieces, etc. And don’t forget to replace the rotten wood with the new one.
- Make your home more strong by replacing all the plastic window screens with the metal ones. Be mindful to install closers on the exterior door and make sure there is not much gap between the door and floor. Also, use caulk around the pipes and electrical wires from wherever they are emerging or visible. The purpose is to work on all the sneaky places rats can enter your home.
- Rats come to your place because they are attracted by the food your home can offer. The best thing you can do is to eradicate all the places where they can access food. Use hard containers with an air-tight lid to store your food sources. You can also replace your trash can and bins with stronger ones, so they cannot invade them. Always remember to clean up all the waste and keep your home hygienic.
- Your home is also a heaven for their scoundrel life. They flourish in the dirt, Hence, the more you focus on the cleanliness of your property the less chance of rats infiltration will be. Not only your house but take care of the area you are living in, inspect the drainage system and the waste recycling services in your area, the health of plants and trees also matter most.
- You should also check the plumbing leakage of your property. Repair them instantly and have the best quality pipes for your home. Once in a while keep checking on basements and sanitize properly. Make sure there are no food items there or any wooden things.
Contact Pest Control Worldwide and get rid of rats instantly. Our products can safely remove the rats without leaving any trail. Here are some products that might interest you-
- Rat Glue Trap Board – Once rat comes near this area, they will be stuck because of the glue and you can easily catch them
- Child Safe & Pet Safe Rat Tunnel Snap Trap – It is safe to use and you can wisely remove the rat without any issues. It is swift and effective.
- Humane Mouse Trap, No Kill Trap, Pet & Child Safe Rodent- This trap again catches the rat without causing any harm to the rat and is child friendly.
- Large Rat & Mice Snap Trap, Reusable Mouse Trap, Heavy- You can trap Rat and mouse both. It is highly beneficial as it can be reused many times.
- Stainless Steel Mesh Wool for Blocking Rat Rodents- This is an effective method to block the entry of the rat into your house. You can use it to patch the gaps and the cracks of potential entry.